Junior Environmental Inspector
Groundwater Environmental Management Services Inc. ( GEMS ) is currently seeking a Junior Environmental Inspector to join and be a key member of our growing Team. This position is based in our new office in Vaughan, and will report directly to the Manager of Environmental Compliance, and will participate in the current expansion of our client base, services and specialized professional operations.
GEMS is a boutique sized firm established in 2005 to serve a growing need for a professional environmental consultant who could effectively address increasingly complex regulatory compliance requirements faced by the construction and land development industries. GEMS has grown over the years providing a wide range of multi-disciplinary environmental services and has achieved its success by effectively bridging the gap between regulatory agencies and its clients. GEMS has earned the trust of agencies and clients alike because we continuously strive to find innovative solutions that work on the ground and meet regulatory compliance. The source of our strength is in our people. We firmly believe in providing a collaborative and flexible work environment that puts our people first to allow them to achieve excellence in what they do.
General Job Description:
As the Junior Environmental Inspector, you will perform field site inspections of erosion and sediment controls on active construction sites and collect, input, analyze and organize water and/or soil quality, flow and level data to assist senior staff in report preparation and project start-up documentation and records filing. You also will be responsible for ensuring that erosion and sediment control measures have been properly installed and maintained in accordance with approved design and plan drawings, and reporting any non-compliance issues in site inspection reports with recommendations for follow-up actions. This work includes the measurement and collection of water and/or soil quality samples for quantitative analysis for comparison against applicable environmental compliance criteria. Other job responsibilities are described below.
- Soil/groundwater sampling to assess water and or soil quality compared to regulatory criteria
- Discharge water sampling and quality analysis
- Photographic log organization
- Assist in construction activity inspections and reporting
- Assist in installation and set-up of monitoring equipment and instrumentation
- Assist in preparation of applications for environmental permits and approvals
- Research various sources to collect environmental data
- Perform field monitoring of aquatic and terrestrial environments
- Assist in performing avian, aquatic and terrestrial surveys
- Organize laboratory data into summary tables with comparison to regulatory criteria
- Assist in organizing project files and proper filing of records and documentation
The Successful Candidate
You are an energetic, enthusiastic, passionate and professional individual looking for a hands on opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge of the environmental consulting industry in positive, collaborative and caring work environment. You thrive on being a team player, work effectively with colleagues, and conduct yourself in a respectful and ethical manner when representing the company and clients interest.
Qualification and Experience Requirements:
- University or accredited college degree in geology, hydrogeology, earth science, ecology, biology, environmental science or related major.
- Environmental Monitoring experience would be an asset
- Good knowledge of government regulations is an asset
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to vehicle for regular travel to job sites
Send Resume attention HR Department
Please include salary expectations