Junior Hydrogeologist / Environmental
Groundwater Environmental Management Services Inc. (GEMS) is currently seeking a Junior Hydrogeologist to join our growing Team and help us expand our client base, services and specialized professional operations. This position is based in our new office in Concord.
GEMS is a boutique-sized firm established in 2005 to serve a growing need for a team of professional environmental consultants who can address the increasingly complex regulatory compliance challenges in the construction and land development industries. GEMS has grown over the years, providing a wide range of multi-disciplinary environmental services and has achieved its success by effectively bridging the gap between regulatory agencies and its clients. GEMS has earned the trust of agencies and clients alike by continuously striving to find innovative solutions that work on the ground and comply with regulatory requirements. The source of our strength is in our people. We firmly believe in providing a collaborative and flexible work environment that puts our people first and allows them to achieve excellence.
This position is an exciting opportunity for a person who enjoys working with an innovative and hands-on team in a challenging and fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will apply his or her specialized skills and ability to solve practical problems, using best practices in applied sciences and advanced technologies to meet the rapidly changing needs of a wide range of clients.
General Job Description:
The Junior Hydrogeologist will report to senior staff, who will direct tasks in the field and office. Field assignments will include site investigations, monitoring, and data collection. Office work will include the interpretation and analysis of data and report writing. The role will involve interacting with regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with contract and with federal, provincial, and local guidelines.
- Site reconnaissance;
- Soil logging and observation of drilling;
- Monitoring of well installations;
- Installation of monitoring equipment;
- Well development;
- Collection of groundwater and surface water samples;
- Measurement of stream flow and water levels;
- Observation of pumping tests;
- Hydraulic conductivity testing; and
- Monitoring of construction sites.
- Data management;
- Analysis of field data;
- Preparation of borehole records;
- Preparation of technical proposals and reports;
- Scientific and technical research; and
- Report formatting and assembly.
The Successful Candidate:
You are passionate, client-focused, and professional. You take responsibility for your decisions and conduct yourself in a respectful and ethical manner when representing the company and its clients’ interests. You demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities, demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. You thrive on being a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates, sharing ideas and working to achieve common goals.
Qualification and Experience Requirements:
- Degree in earth sciences, hydrogeology, geology, geological engineering, earth science or related major;
- Minimum one year of professional experience;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite;
- Superior oral and written communication skills;
- Valid Ontario driver’s license, with access to vehicle for regular travel;
- Basic GIS Knowledge;
- Experience with pumping/slug test analysis programs (AquaSOLV, AquiferTest etc.);
- Knowledge of environmental regulations; and
- Any additional qualifications would be an asset.
Send resume to (including salary expectations): fax: 905-907-6617 or email: email@example.com